RSS

FAQ- How do I promote my book?

06 Sep

Okay, you have a book. It’s up on Amazon, Kobo, and everywhere else… Now what?

Well, the best answer is… Go write another book!

No, seriously!

Here’s the deal, if you have one book and go promote it, great, people can buy that book. But, a lot of people won’t buy a book if you only have one up there. They like to sink their metaphorical teeth into their favorite authors and read LOTS of stuff from them, so if you have only one book out, and they love you, then they aren’t going to be as willing to take a chance.

Also, what if you do well with your book? Where do the readers go from their? And what if you put the first book up for free, they read it, but have no second book to buy?

It just makes sense to have more books out. The more you have, the more you can share with your readers. The more you share the more they can share.

The concept of visibility dictates that the more surface area you have, the greater the chance someone will spot you… so give yourself lots of books, and lots of feelers out there for maximum chance to be seen.

Okay… got your second, third, etc, book done? Great!

Now… go play on social networks. Meet people, comment on their threads, share your stories. DON’T PROMOTE!

Seems counter intuitive, doesn’t it? Yes, well, we are living in a counter intuitive world. How many of us skip cable, TiVo, use Netflix or anything else, just to avoid advertisement? Why would you think anyone would want to see and advert about your book if they don’t want to see a commercial in the middle of their TV show?

No, they want you to interact with them. Be funny, be interesting, join the conversation. Or produce something worth talking about. if you can do both then you are GOLDEN! People will go looking for you to see what you say if you are interesting enough. People will search out your commercials on youtube if you’re funny. They will Google your story if you’re exciting. They will post tributes, make fan fic, and generally make a joyful noise as long as you making something they care about, or you are someone they care about.

My best success hasn’t been screaming “BUY MY BOOKS!” It’s been making friends. Sharing stories. Interacting with fans. That has brought more people into my little corner of the web then anything else out there. And I am so grateful to all the friends that have made this possible.

Advertisements

10 Comments

Posted by on September 6, 2013 in On Writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “FAQ- How do I promote my book?

1. scantan

September 6, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Good points, Crissy. As to surface area, I’ve heard between 50-80 titles. I think the 50 one was novels and the 80 a mix. So only 3 million words, not a big deal 🙂

• CrissyMoss

September 7, 2013 at 12:24 am

Ya, I’m doing a mix, so it’s gunna take me a little while 😉
      But I’ve already got 11 out so I’ve already put a dent in it.

2. Jnana Hodson

September 7, 2013 at 3:58 am

Sure hope you’re right.

• CrissyMoss

September 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

My “advice” comes from years of listening to authors who are making it work, and my slow success as well.
      Build it and they will come. Build it bigger and better and they will come faster. I mean look at Walmart, they SUCK! but there are so many of them out there, and they are so cheap, that they still make tons of money.

3. Nicholas Kahler

September 7, 2013 at 6:36 am

Well said, Ms. Moss. I know more than a few authors who could benefit from this very sound advice.

• CrissyMoss

September 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

Yes, I’m one of them! lol.
      I usually write something I need to hear too.

4. Trish McCallan

September 7, 2013 at 8:42 am

Great Advice Crissy- I need to send some people I know to this blog. 🙂

• CrissyMoss

September 7, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thank you, I appreciate that!

5. Carl Sinclair

September 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

Nice blog Crissy. Good advice. As tempting as it can be to scream about your book, it is better to let people find it, at least until you have quite a few under your belt.

Write good books is a smart move.

• CrissyMoss

September 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

Let other people scream about your book, it looks better, and is less work for you, 😉