I have been taking the last week or so to convert all of my novels to Scrivener. It’s been a learning experience.
First, let me explain something. I don’t have one file for each novel. If that were the case of things would have been so much easier.
No, the novel I was working on today had nine separate files. The nine files happened over the years as I switched from Lotus, to Word, to RTF, and between three or four different PC’s. Each file had different parts. Two of them had nearly the whole thing, but each was missing some part.
I finally figured out the fastest way to compile these into one file was to open nine subsections in Scrivener, and paste each file in a separate section. Then I compared and compiled the sections together until I had each unique section, and could separate everything into chapters.
It was time consuming, but worth it. I am sure that I missed some minor things, or basic edits that I will have to redo, but all in all the time spent doing this was worth it.
Next I will have to compile this into one file so that I have a back up. But a single backup is much easier to handle then nine.