RSS

FAQ: Making money

15 Sep

Question on reddit today: Just wondering if an income of $500 a month would be an attainable goal for an average self publisher.

My answer:

$500 a month is doable. I know several people who make more than that on average.

If you price the book at $2.99 that’s about 250 sales needed. If it’s at $5.99 that’s about 120 sales. That’s not out there in the realm of possibilities.

The trick is to write a good book, then white another one, and keep writing good books for a while.

I’ve been at it for two years now, but I’m a really slow writer so I only have two novels and a bunch of short stories out. I’m getting better sales all the time, but it’s a slow process. Don’t go in thinking you’ll make it big off one book. There are some lucky people who hit the market just at the right time, but the vast majority of us have five books in a series before we start seeing some traction.

Advertisements

6 Comments

Posted by on September 15, 2015 in On Writing

Tags: , ,

6 responses to “FAQ: Making money

1. Simon

September 15, 2015 at 10:42 pm

A little off topic, but have you read Monica Leonelle’s “Write Better Faster”, Crissy? It has a lot of useful tips for cranking out the words faster. I’m about halfway through it at the moment:

• CrissyMoss

September 15, 2015 at 11:18 pm

No I don’t have that one. I do have 2k to 10k and 5000 words per hour from Chris Fox. I’ll probably pick up Monica’s book eventually too.

• Simon

September 15, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Some of it may be duplication. I’ve read a lot of the tips before 🙂 If you’ve read the others, you probably already know most of it.

Just thought I’d mention it, since you talked about your writing speed.

• CrissyMoss

September 16, 2015 at 12:21 am

Yep, that’s why I haven’t picked it up yet. Both of the other books have some similar tips. I think I know what I need to do, and I’m doing some of it. I’m slowly adding more of those to it. I will probably do a pre-NaNoWriMo update on word counts because I’m already ahead of last year and that feels wonderful.

• Simon

September 16, 2015 at 12:27 am

Excellent. It’s all about individual improvement. The longer I’m a writer, the more I learn that everyone works differently and you can only really compete against your past self.

• CrissyMoss